The Library thrives on the hundreds of volunteer hours worked on its behalf each month. Library volunteers support Children's programming, assist the Library with special projects in our Technical Services and Community Relations departments, and more. Each volunteer is a valued and integral member of the Library's staff.
To volunteer at the Provo City Library, please complete our Volunteer Application. Hard-copy Volunteer Applications can be picked up from the 1st Floor Reference Desk in the Library's Rogers Wing. Hard-copy applications may be returned in one of the following ways:
- Returned to the First Floor Reference Desk
- Mailed to the Provo City Library, attention Volunteer Coordinator
- Faxed to 801-852-6688, attention Volunteer Coordinator
Please note that one must be fourteen years of age or older to volunteer at the Library. All volunteers under the age of eighteen must complete and turn in a Parental/Guardian Consent Form with their applications.
As the Library receives a high volume of Volunteer Applications weekly, please allow between 2-3 weeks for application processing. All applications are sent to Provo City's Human Resources Department for a mandatory background check. All volunteers are subject to departmental approval; after your application is approved, you will be contacted by a member of our staff to get started.
Volunteers are responsible to keep track of their volunteer hours by signing in and out each volunteer session.
The Library does not accept Volunteer Applications for court-appointed community service hours.
Current Volunteer Needs
Below are the descriptions of current volunteer needs; when you apply to volunteer, please indicate which opportunity you are interested in.
Volunteers in the Children's Department help with programs and help us keep our surroundings and materials clean. Volunteers for Children's Programs need to be someone who can attend consistently. Children are more comfortable if they see a familiar face.
Commitment: No specific time commitment required.
- Orientation: Come to the library for a short (15 minute) orientation about different tasks that need to be done in the children’s department.
- After the orientation: After the orientation, volunteers can come at any time when the library is open to help with the following tasks:
- Shelf Cleaning: Use disinfectant wipes to clean of the front of book shelfs to help prevent the spreading of germs and disease.
- Book Cleaning: Use wipes to clean the covers of books in the Children’s Department.
- Craft Prep: Other tasks needed to prepare craft projectsNote: Volunteers are responsible to keep track of their volunteer hours by signing in and out each volunteer session. Those interested should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Those interested should contact the volunteer coordinator at email@example.com.
Teen and Adult Services Department
The Teen and Adult Services Department requires assistance for some of our special events including helping with computer classes, book sales, Summer Reading Programs, author events, etc.
Note: Some Teen and Adult Services volunteer positions may require an interview to be offered a volunteer position.
No Volunteer Needs
Community Relations Department
The Community Relations Department manages large programs and events. We also manage the Attic at Academy Square (an exhibit space on the 4th floor) and the Used Book Store.
Description: Occasionally, we receive requests for interpretation at Library programs. Though we have no specific needs at the moment, if you would the experience of interpreting and would like to be contacted in case of a need, contact the volunteer coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the language you are able to interpret. Our most common needs are Spanish and ASL interpreters.
Circulation Department and Technical Services Department
Circulation and Technical Services are our behind-the-scenes unsung heroes! Volunteers help prepare items for circulation and help returned materials return to their proper homes.
Description: Help keep the Library DVDs and CDs in good shape by buffing discs. Contact the volunteer coordinator at email@example.com for more information.
Want to know about the most current volunteer positions available? Please email our volunteer coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org